I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research (IDAEA) of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) in Barcelona, Spain. I studied Theoretical Physics for my Undergraduate education at the University of Lisbon (2009), in my hometown in Portugal. I obtained my Master’s Degree from the same institution, specializing in Nonlinear and Statistical Physics (2011). I then completed my graduate studies in Indiana, USA, where I was awarded my PhD by the University of Notre Dame (2016).
I am interested in modeling physical processes with recourse to stochastic methods, both by analytical and computational means. I am currently developing models of conservative and reactive transport for surface and subsurface hydrological systems that aim to capture heterogeneity through the use of stochastic descriptions. I have also worked in applying probabilistic techniques to gene expression in biological cells and to the dynamics of multi-strain diseases such as influenza.
Solute transport in laminar flow.
Stochastic storage processes.
Peak and tail scaling of breakthrough curves.
- Benson, David, Tomás Aquino, Diogo Bolster, Nicholas Engdahl, Christopher
Henri, and Daniel Fernàndez-Garcia. “A comparison of Eulerian and Lagrangian
transport and non-linear reaction algorithms.”, Advances in Water Resources 99
- Roche, Kevin, Antoine Aubeneau, Minwei Xie, Tomás Aquino, Diogo Bolster, and
Aaron Packman. “An integrated experimental and modeling approach to predict
sediment mixing from benthic burrowing behavior.” Environmental Science and
Technology 50.18 (2016): 10047–10054.
- Aquino, Tomás, and Ana Nunes. “Host immunity and pathogen diversity: a
computational study.” Virulence 7.2 (2016): 121–128.
- Paster, Amir, Tomás Aquino, and Diogo Bolster. “Incomplete mixing and reactions – a Lagrangian approach in a pure shear flow.” Physical Review E 92.1
- Aquino, Tomás, Antoine Aubeneau, and Diogo. Bolster. “Peak and tail scaling
of breakthrough curves in hydrologic tracer tests.” Advances in Water Resources
78 (2015): 1–8.
- Aquino, Tomás, Diogo Bolster, and Ana Nunes. “Characterization of the endemic
equilibrium and response to mutant injection in a multi-strain disease model.”
Journal of Theoretical Biology 368 (2015): 27–36.
- Aquino, Tomás, Elsa Abranches, and Ana Nunes. “Stochastic single-gene autoregulation.” Physical Review E 85.6 (2012): 061913.
- Wieland, Stefan, Tomás Aquino, and Ana Nunes. “The structure of coevolving
infection networks.” Europhysics Letters 97.1 (2012): 18003.